Werking at workRead Now
A guide to help you stay healthy while you werk (or work), whichever you prefer.
24 hours in a day. 9 hour work days. 2 hours for commute and meals. 7-9 hours of sleep. That leaves us with roughly 4 hours of free time. How on earth are people who work full time supposed to balance it all and be healthy? Don’t get me started if you have kids. You know what I’m talking about. Since we’re already spending a majority of our time working, we might as well make the most of it! Today’s blog will walk you through some tips to help you be healthy while working.
1. Actively commute. Ride a bike or walk if you live close enough to your workplace. If not, try parking farther away. All those extra steps add up.
2. Take the stairs. If you work in a large office, take the stairs instead of riding the elevator.
3. Drink more water. Not only is water the best beverage you can give your body, it will make you take more trips to the bathroom which equals more time being active. Staying properly hydrated has been known to curb hunger as well so keep that water bottle full and close!
4. Use the bathroom on a different floor. You never know what’s changed in a place that you don’t see every day. This will help you get out of your environment too!
5. Talk to a colleague in person. Instead of sending an email or calling, visit someone's desk to ask for that report. They'll appreciate the face to face time as well.
6. Take a stand. Stand up while you’re at talking on the phone or invest in a standing desk. If you use a laptop, try putting it on top of a crate. I did this in graduate school and it was worth it. #Healthyonthecheap
7. Set a timer. Set a timer on your computer or phone for every 30 minutes to remind you to get up or to stretch. Here are some examples of stretches you can do for at your desk.
8. Pack your lunch. Not only will this save you money it’ll give you more time to do the next tip. Packing your lunch the night before so you don’t have to worry about it in the morning is a HUGE load off your shoulders. Never worry about rushing in the morning again.
9. Take a walk after lunch. Who really takes 30 minutes to eat their food anyway? Mine is gone in about 5 or 10 minutes. If it’s a nice day, walk outside and enjoy some fresh air.
10. If your workplace has one, join their workplace wellness program. Mine has Weight Watchers!
11. Last but not least, potlucks. How does one stay on track with their goals when there’s potlucks and birthday celebrations galore?! Simple, be the person who bring the veggie or fruit tray. Lead by example!
I challenge you to see how you can incorporate at least 2 of these tips this week. Happy werking!
By: Alicia Everette
A millennial wellness enthusiast trying to figure out life. Coupon Queen. Experimental Chef. Personal Trainer. Aspiring Health Coach.
Leave a Reply.
Who we are
Just a team of round pegs in a square hole changing the world one interaction at a time.
Look back at it